£0 to £6B deisgn powerhouse in 20yrs? How? £500K every day in R&D !
Juggling Design, R&D, New Product Development & success is a constant struggle. How can you formalize and secure success? Spend 10% of gross revenue on Skunks. Skunk works to be specific.
Pfizer does it. Alessi does it. Dyson does it. Dyson the vacuum design juggernaut spends 500K a day in R&D, has whole design teams that do nothing but experiment and are able to full commercialized what they are learning. In a recent article on Dyson Core77 digs into the process and learning systems created in successful R&D and Design teams. More specifically we see via Fast Company the basis for advanced Skunkworks teams:
1) Complete control of the works: no outside influences with the head reporting to the CEO
2) Small project teams of no more than 3-5 per project (1 pizza to feed the entire team model)
3) small number of connections with project: only necessary ancilliary team members
4) very simple drawing and drawing release system – design is at the heart of the process
5) minimum reports required as paperwork, emails, tracking limits doing the work
6) project must work in the field with users: else team rapidly loses competence to design alternatives
7) Access by outsiders to the project and its personnel must be strictly controlled by appropriate security measures including IP as well as no publish or perish alternatives
This combined with innovation models that engage design teams and design thinking models spell success for any type of firm. And most likely without the smell of skunks at work.